Counting our Blessings!
Recently, I spoke at a church on the theme of “being thankful” and used the passage about Jesus healing the 10 lepers in Luke 17. You might remember the story. Ten men who are suffering from the dreadful and incurable disease of leprosy cry out to Jesus from a distance for healing. Without seeming to do anything for them such as touching them or praying for them, Jesus simply tells them to go and show themselves to the priest.
It’s an interesting story for a couple of reasons. One is that the 10 lepers are not healed of their leprosy until they are “on their way” to show themselves to the priest. It required a step of faith for their healing. The second interesting and amazing thing about this story is that only one leper returned to praise God and thank Jesus for his healing.
The song after my sermon that day was “Count Your Blessings.” I love that old hymn and I grew up singing it. Remember the chorus?
Count your blessings, name them one by one; Count your blessings, see what God hath done; Count your blessings, name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
As we enter this holiday season of Thanksgiving, we at the New Mexico Christian Children’s Home have many blessings to count.
- Our residential homes are almost completely full of children who need the loving care of our quality house parent staff.
- Nine babies have found loving Christian homes through our adoptive services and we are working on our 10th!
- Thirty single moms are able to work toward a better life for their 58 children through our single parent ministry.
- We have rejoiced with the angels over the spiritual rebirth of several of our single moms and young people in our care.
- We are excited to watch Hope Haven for single parents nearing completion of 13 of the 16 duplexes needed.
- There are many more blessings, but we would be remiss if we didn’t count YOU, our fantastic donors among our myriad of blessings!
Praise God for all He has accomplished this year at NMCCH!
Thank You, for allowing God to use your money, your time, your talents and your encouragement to care for our staff, our children, our adoptive families and our single parent families.
When we count our blessings, we count you, and you, and you!
Donate to our Home when you shop on Amazon this #givingtuesday at smile.amazon.com/ch/85-6018576.
Leave a Comment